Thursday, August 14, 2008

Show Me MO Part II

We got to Springfield (actually Ozark, but I'm so used to saying Springfield you will have bear with me) on Monday, August 11th in the afternoon.

Tuesday was a day that the kids and I were really looking forward to. We went to my friend Rae Ann's house and spent the day playing with her kids.
Rae Ann and I have been friend's since the first day of our freshman year of high school - when I look back at those days I can't believe now the amazing friend that I've been blessed with, she's absolutely wonderful and I especially love how we can talk to each other about anything and it never seems like it has been a year since we saw each other. In addition, only God knows how we ended up with matching kids so that when we do get together we have built in playmates for our kids - so incredible! Rae Ann has a 9 year old son, 7, 3 and 1 year old daughters - they match up almost perfectly with my kids and it's like having cousins to play with - so much fun!

Wednesday I had the privilege of taking my kids to Steal Your Dollar City (better known as Silver Dollar City), this was the place that I LOVED to go to when I was a young girl. I thought the Great American Plunge was absolutely terrifying! BK and I were able to go, just the three of us, and I felt comfortable in knowing that ZA were being well loved and taken care of with my mom and dad. BK and I had a great time - we went on the train ride, watched the saloon show and then took the plunge. Literally, we went on the Great American Plunge then proceeded to check out as many rides as we could: Wildfire, Fire In The Hole, Giant Swing, Powder Keg, The Lost River, Waterboggin (I skipped this one - the kids got soaked by themselves) and finally the Mighty Galleon (I just about tossed my funnel cake). I had two great moments on this day #1 spending time with my big kids and remembering how really wonderful they are and loving every minute of our time together. #2 was a moment to laugh at myself. When went on the Powder Keg I thought it was just like any other roller coaster - you know you chug along to get to the top then whoosh you are off careening around neck breaking turns and going up and down at speeds that no vertebrae is strong enough to withstand (I know 'cuz I did several of these crazy rides). Sadly I couldn't see the ride from where we were standing in line so it took me a couple of moments once we got on the ride to realize exactly what was going to happen. There was no chugging slowly up the hill... it was more of a whoosh you just got shot out of a cannon! Can anyone say whiplash?! That moment of realization for me was hilarious - I love a good laugh even though this one was slightly painful.

Thursday we went to see my grandfather and then proceeded to the zoo - it has changed a lot since I lived there and is a great little zoo to take the kids to. For dinner we ate Lucy's Chinese and although most people would think that was not a big deal - it is to me. I grew up disliking Chinese food when I finally figured out that I liked it I moved to St. Louis, then Texas and the Chinese food was different - so every time I go "home" I have to eat my Springfield Chinese food - yum! Silly I know.

Friday my mom and dad took us to Dixie Stampede. This was a lot fun - it is a dinner show in Branson, MO. There are long horns, horses, comedy and a competition between the north and the south. My mom and dad got a kick out of Z's face when they served him his dinner, they put a whole chicken on his plate and he just stared, wide eyed! I guess he couldn't believe that he got that much food all to himself! Funny!

Saturday we went to see my grandfather again and then had a relaxing day with my parents. A wasn't sure what to think of my dad and they made up a little game where he'd ask if she wanted to come see him and she'd shake her head and smile or giggle. Sunday I went to the movies with Rae Ann and then we headed out Monday after seeing my grandfather one more time.
The last leg of our journey took us to Northern Arkansas and to my Debbie's house. We went swimming and spent Tuesday at the arcade playing and relaxing before our trip back to Texas.

Now we are back home! We had a wonderful trip, lots of fun all over Missouri and Arkansas but it is good to be back in our own home and with Jason.
To all our our hosts - Thank you! BKZA and I are very blessed to have you all in our lives and to be so generously loved by you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful and awesome times we had..so many memories..we are truly blessed to have you as a daughter and your adorable kiddos.
Dad still laughs about A, and loved Z helping him in his garden.
Thanks for sharing so much with us.
Love,
Mom

Christi said...

Sounds like so much fun. I would have loved to see Z with an entire chicken! ;-)