Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Kickball

Did you know?! That the rules of kickball are complicated? If you, you like me, thought these were the rules (old school):

1. Kick ball with all of your might
2. Try to hit and maim runner by throwing the ball at them = out
3. Try to catch the ball = out (because you throw like a girl)
4. Umm.. that's all folks, those are ALL the rules!

I found out first hand this week that kickball isn't what it was back years ago when I relegated to the outfield to pick dandelions uh.. I mean, catch the occasional run-away ball.

#1 Just like they have new fangled math they have LOTS more rules in kickball (FYI the before mentioned rules are still good). So many in fact that you might call the game - softball or baseball without the bat!

#2 Foul balls can be caught to get the runner out. Duh!

#3 There is a thing called tagging up or as I liked to call it, "go back, Go Back, GO BACK!!!"

#4 You can't over run certain bases, really don't remember which ones - hopefully no one over-ran while I was on watch.

#5 Fifth graders do NOT appreciate the "no head shots" rule that I decided to implement, apparently that is not as much fun! Mean Mrs. C!

#6 I learned that this signal

means "SAFE" not "OUT" - which, by the way, is what I yelled every time I did this motion. Poor confused 5th graders!! Ha ha!

1 comment:

tmn said...

No wonder it is hard to keep up with children the rules have changed !!!!! Too funny