Saturday, October 26, 2013

√ #4 on my invisible bucket list!

#1 - open water swim in a triathlon (conquered 06/20/10)
#2 - scuba diving with my son (06/26/12)
#3 - swimming with a shark (06/28/12)
#4 - HALF MARATHON (conquered 10/26/13)

Let me preface this with - I don't actually have a bucket list.  But sometimes things happen in my life that I think, "If-I-had-a-bucket-list-this-would-be-on-it!"  Today was one of those days.  I ran a half marathon, please read ran/walked! I started strong, running more than walking but then I got stuck in what seemed like the biggest curve toward the half-way point that did not appear to be ending, EVER!  It finally turned and I had reached the half-way point, turned around and realized that all those hills I had hauled butt down I now had to run up!  I ran, I walked, I ran, I walked, I made some friends.... At mile 8-9 they blend together, I hit "the wall" the only thing that got me through was knowing that B&K were at mile 11 waiting for me.  So I ran, I walked, I ran and ran some more.  I came up with witty comments that would make my kids laugh when I ran past them but then I could only say, "EVERYTHING hurts!  Everything!" when I got to them.  Witty comment #1 - dang how long is this 5K?!

Half Marathon = everything hurts!  I finally rounded the corner, I could see the finish line, I heard my friend Joy yell my name and then BAM - both of my calf muscles clenched up and instead of smiling sweet and yelling in victory I winced in pain and yelled, "mymusclesjustclenchedupohmygoodness!"  It sounded just like that all drawn together and no breathing because the finish line was right there and I wasn't stopping!

As I crossed the line all I could see was the banana in someones hand and I wanted one, 5 minutes ago!!!  So I went on a search for a banana!

That's my story!  I'm sticking with it - I completed a Half Marathon to raise money and sponsor kids that need to be adopted and I am proud of myself! 

No comments: