Monday, July 1, 2013

Running...

I'm continuing to attend boot camp on a regular basis however in addition I have now added a half marathon training program.  I am excited to say that I have consistently pushed past what I thought I could do.  I've never been a runner (my high school classmates could attest to this).  I like to share that I was the one that always got in trouble during running because I wanted to walk and TALK!  Running was for when someone or something was chasing you!
Today I went to boot camp and we had our fitness test - the dreaded timed mile.  I have had good miles, bad miles and other miles that fit somewhere in between.  I knew today was a timed mile because I inadvertently saw it on facebook... dread!  I knew that pretty much everybody including my husband who has been coming to boot camp a lot more regularly lately) was going to kick my butt.  I try to remind myself that I'm just trying to beat myself but I've reached that time that I don't think that physics is on my side!
The run began and I was moving!  I took off too fast and could feel myself getting winded, I worked on maintaining speed and calming my body.  It worked and when I got to the end I gave the last little bit all I had left when suddenly someone was passing me on the right, just at the very end - Jason!  Flying past me to earn a 9min, 41sec and I came in right behind him at 9min, 46 sec!  The good news is that my last run was 9min, 57 sec!  11 seconds faster.  Three things: 1.) Proud of my husband, 2.) Proud of myself, 3.) Unkind murderous feelings for that goober that went flying past me in the last seconds!  ha ha!
Finally - today was a run day for my half marathon training. I was supposed to run/walk for 40 minutes and I hit right at 3.4 miles - SO... after my "fast" mile I was thrilled that I could even breath to do another 3+ miles!

By the way the half marathon that I have signed up for is:



Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

 I am praying that next week I can meet some of the children at For His Children that will benefit from this marathon.  I plan to put a picture of one these lovely children on my back and run for them. 

1 comment:

Kierstyn said...

Way to go, Sherry!! I'm proud of you and Jason. I'm working towards a 10K (Sep 28th. On Aug. 2nd, I begin my training for a half marathon (Dec. 8th). I hope your training continues to go so well.